No, that was not a scream of terror you just heard because it’s not Friday. Yet. Tomorrow though, that is a whole other game. As I was researching Friday the 13th my screen turned black and my Internet crashed…a little foreshadowing? I guess I’ll find out…
Before it did crash I got some fun facts. The fear of Friday the 13th is officially called paraskevidekatriaphobia. Try saying that one time fast. Another interesting thing, the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute estimates that we save about 700 million dollars every Friday the 13th. Why? Because people are too superstitious to travel, make big purchases, or really do much of anything. Some folks even refuse to go to work because they don’t want to step out of their basement, which could be a good thing because those that do go to work are not as productive, refuse to meet clients for lunches, refuse to make important decisions, and act cranky all day. Apparently, some view 13 as unlucky, and a 13 that falls on the 6th day of the week is super unlucky. This also means that those brave enough to get married on Friday the 13th get great discounts. Few people want to get married so the wedding industry throws out huge discounts to try and make a buck. (I guess that saying that love conquers all may be true.) Plus, summer is the season for weddings and summer is coming to an end, so tomorrow is the perfect time to tie the knot.
Luckily, after tomorrow there is only one more Friday this year that falls on the 13th, and that would be in December. (Exactly 13 weeks from tomorrow.)
Here are 13 things to help you make it through Friday:
- Get out of bed: You’ll be fine. Seriously.
- The Original Buff: Wear it as a balaclava, helmet liner, or so many other things.
- Leatherman: Who doesn’t need a multipurpose tool that fits in a pocket?
- Backpack: You need a place to keep your survival gear close.
- Ruffwear gear: Bribe your dog into scaring away all of those black cats.
- Shovel: This way if you get bored you can dig a hole.
- A basic understanding of Zombies and their habits: Hey, you never know.
- Don’t break a mirror: Would that be like 91 years of bad luck?
- Enough food to feed a crowd: Include burgers and buns, you’ll see why later.
- Duct tape: No list would be complete without it.
- Flashlight: I guess a cell phone would work, too.
- A map of every ladders’ location: Now you can avoid them.
- A truck to haul all of this crap, and if you’re going to do that you might as well take the grill, get to the game early, and tailgate.